Self Initiation.

Self Initiation.

by Mugwort -
Number of replies: 3

I have been recently been re-reading The Techniques of High Magic by Francis King and Stephen Skinner and was especially drawn to the chapter on Self Initiation.This is one of the books i got my teeth into in my teens along with other self initiatory works as The Sacred Magic of Abra Melin the Mage and The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis.

To me the magical and spiritual exercises performed over a series of weeks,months or even years create a spiritual crisis within overcoming the ego senses and leading to an expansion of awarness.

Although i have experienced this over the years not only through magical and spiritual practice but also through the mundane trials my experience is that it is only momentry.This expansion of awarness does not reveal itself in miracles or powers.I can only describe it as a Great Intuition a knowing so obvious that proof to others does not seem necessary as it seems really so simple a thing.So profound yet so obvious.

Now i mentioned earlier that these experiences are only momentary.What i mean by this is that once the distractions of the mundane world once again hold sway then the initial experience wains.However a small spark of these little initiations remains as a reminder to the magician.Each time we go through one of these little initiations through constant practice of the magical art we gain a little more In-Tuition or Inner Learning.We as mortal beings in our present confines of material existance i feel cannot know everything of the wonders of the Multiverse.However we can strive towards a greater understanding of the universe and our place in it if only piece by piece.

In reply to Mugwort

Re: Self Initiation.

by Andrea Shelor ** R6, QM6 H4 QN4 -
Picture of Head Moderator Picture of Qabbalah Maasit Practitioner Picture of Refuah Practitioner Picture of Refuah Teacher
Hello Mugwort,

you mention some very interesting and important things in your posting.

But first, please let me express to everyone who reads this, that we very much prefer and delight in forum participants to find their own words to describe and explain what they wish to tell us and talk about (as in fact you did, Mugwort!), rather than referring to books and authors that they have read.
On the one hand, this is because we do not want any advertising in our forum, and on the other hand, if a person did not read the book(s) mentioned, they would probably have problems to understand what the posting is about in the first place - so the essential points of the posting would have to be explained anyway, in spite of mentioning the book(s).

Now, in your posting you mentioned a few books, but in fact this was not necessary at all for you to make your point. (Please consider this as a compliment, for not everybody succeeds in accomplishing this!)

But unfortunately, your mentioning of these books might invite others to do the same, which may result in this thread becoming an "adverts thread" which would violate our rules and policies point 8f and probably also point 8i.

So, for a forum moderator, your posting might become a bit of a problem ;-) And since this forum is brandnew the moderators agreed we should mention it here, and refer to our rules for everybody to remember what they agreed to observe when they signed in. So please, Mugwort, do not take it personally when we do so now in your posting!

But now let me preceed to your posting! (I did colour your quotes in order to make it easier to read.)

To me the magical and spiritual exercises performed over a series of weeks,months or even years create a spiritual crisis within overcoming the ego senses and leading to an expansion of awarness.

Good exercises will do that, yes. Especially if they come with knowledge, wisdom, and with highly evolved ethics, too, in order to help the student of the mysteries to implement his new faculties in an ethical and benevolent manner for himself and his environment.
(After all, what good is any expansion of awareness if you keep it to yourself?)

Although i have experienced this over the years not only through magical and spiritual practice but also through the mundane trials my experience is that it is only momentry.This expansion of awarness does not reveal itself in miracles or powers.I can only describe it as a Great Intuition a knowing so obvious that proof to others does not seem necessary as it seems really so simple a thing.So profound yet so obvious.

Yes, I see what you mean.
Therefore I think it is very important for the student of the mysteries that these intuitions, as you call it, should be written down in his magical diary in order to be better understood and to be preserved for later reading and further use. I remember that oh, so many times I did not take notes, and then far too soon it was all gone and forgotten... and why is it that you do not write it down? Exactly, it seems "so obvious that (neither) proof (nor records) do seem necessary... (because) it seems really so simple a thing" - you put it so nicely in these words that it would be almost a crime to not quote your words...

Now i mentioned earlier that these experiences are only momentary.What i mean by this is that once the distractions of the mundane world once again hold sway then the initial experience wains.

Yes, this is unfortunately often the case - but, let me express to you that if you continue to observe and to actually live and perform within the mundane world all the spiritual ethics and the magical knowledge that you learned, by using your expanded awareness that you acquired on your spiritual path in the Light, then in this case the effects will not "wear off" and the initial experience will not wane either, but it will be renewed and even improved and expanded by your continued studies of the occult and its implementation in your life on the path of LIght.
For the spiritual growth that can be achieved in the mundane world is not to be underestimated, although admittedly it may be hard to achieve in the first years of the training. (The most pressing personal problems seem to present themselves in the first years of the training...) At least, to me it was and still is, in spite of all the progress I have achieved... but apparently, the challenges grow with the achievements. lächelnd Actually, the way of the magician is life long learning in the first place... Still, the love, wisdom, freedom and joy that I have experienced on the path of Light are the most important experiences of my life, and certainly the ones that expanded my awareness in the most profound and sustainable way... but I have to admit, this is far easier to achieve within a good and serious magical group, order or school, than on one's own (this is something that I had to do for many years - like so many other seekers).
But I am waffling again - do you have any practical advice or suggestions out of your own experience for all those readers who do not belong to a practicing training group or order, to keep and expand the initial experience in spite of the distractions of the mundane world?

Additionally, I think there are different definitions of "initiation" and "initial experiences" anyway. Many of the most important "initial" experiences mark a transition into something new, i.e. an inner transformation. The difference between an important experience and true inner transformation is that true transformation lasts, and that it actually does change your attitude and behaviour for the rest of your life.
Therefore, many of the "very important experiences" that are not actual transformations ** might be considered the preliminary steps to true transformation. What do you think? Does this correlate with your experience?
**everybody has to judge this for themselves, of course

On the other hand, "initiation" might mean being granted membership of an occult order or achieving adulthood in some societies (sometimes including a "rite of passage" in some way), and another definition of initiation, one that is probably the most common definition in occultism, means that a certain power is transferred from the initiator to the initiated.
Therefore, when we are using the last mentioned type of initiation, we might safely conclude that "self initiation" meets its limit here.

However a small spark of these little initiations remains as a reminder to the magician.Each time we go through one of these little initiations through constant practice of the magical art we gain a little more In-Tuition or Inner Learning.We as mortal beings in our present confines of material existance i feel cannot know everything of the wonders of the Multiverse.However we can strive towards a greater understanding of the universe and our place in it if only piece by piece.

Yes, I certainly agree with you! And I would like to add that imho we should strive to know and understand and to use this "reminder" to grow further, for we have many lifetimes to achieve the Great Work, and we should strive to make the best possible use of each and every one of them!

Once again, thank you for this highly interesting contribution!
Now I am very much interested in your opionion on my remarks lächelnd and hopefully some more readers will seize your ideas and contribute their own!

But for now, I wish you a merry Christmas and happyYule tide holidays!

In Light,
Andrea

In reply to Andrea Shelor ** R6, QM6 H4 QN4

by Solan -
Hello all,

A very suiting subject for this time of year indeed, and I feel that you have both explained well the topic at hand. There was much in the context of this discussion that came to mind, most importantly though I found in the following entry by Andrea much fruit for thought:

Andrea Wrote:

Additionally, I think there are different definitions of "initiation" and "initial experiences" anyway. Many of the most important "initial" experiences mark a transition into something new, i.e. an inner transformation. The difference between an important experience and true inner transformation is that true transformation lasts, and that it actually does change your attitude and behaviour for the rest of your life.

I like the way in which you make a distinctive difference between "initiation" and "initial experience". I think that here is something that is overlooked and not spoken of in respect to the difference between to two, and that all too often many people will experience these "initial experiences" and mistake them for the event of "initiation" in which the former are truly the contributions and precursor to the latter. This is due to the fact that they have no clear example or explanation by which to guide them, since the subject is so rarely addressed in such a way , and I think that in the failure of many to have a distinct understanding of the two that many people fail to take advantage of these "Initial Experiences" when they are provided for them.
In your explanation of "Initial experience" you explain how they are moments that mark a transition into something new. I agree with you completely and think this description is perfect in what it is these moments describe. I feel though that many people because they have not had them described to them for what they are fail to see them as such, and in that respect don't get to take advantage of them as they otherwise would. It is their transitory role that is of utmost important. I have always likened them to the idea of a "Call to action" in that it is these moments that fill us more often than not with an insight into something new, and in this moment there is usually felt an internal moving or filling with great energy. It is this energy that is felt, or this internal movement that is a direct result of the "Initial experience", but too these feelings and sensations that are felt are also catalysts to help us in the days and weeks that follow to "ground" what has been received in our everyday lives so that those internal experiences truly become expressions of ourselves. It is as if they are the pre curser for what is to come, and help to assist us in our integrating of the expansion that we have experienced. These then in there building function contribute to that major event where in we experience that true "Initiation" that is so often spoken of.

In Light,
Kristian
In reply to Solan

by Mugwort -

Hello Ktistian.Thank you for your kind remarks and i glad you found the topic of interest.I shall be responding to Andreas ideas in the next couple of days so keep an eye out and please feel free to post your own opinions.

May the Light be with you.Mugwort.