Temple Meditation

Temple Meditation

by MaRk -
Number of replies: 15

I had an interesting temple meditation earlier today.

Anyway, when I entered the hallway after the garden I felt the presence of a powerful Lion and the impression I was tresspassing. Suddenly the Lion roared shaking the entire temple. It felt as though something of power thought I didn't belong there.

At this point I spontaeously and without thought roared back just as powerfully and at that point I seemed to have been allowed/accepted within that part of the temple. 

While the imagery is not unusual, the power I felt from the Lion was real and not my imagination. At least thats the feeling. My response also strange as my return roar was not consciously done by me, but was from me? Interesting &  confusing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

LLL

Mark

In reply to MaRk

Re: Temple Meditation

by TimeTraveller (SN) (R3)(QM3) -

Hi Mark,

that looks as an interesting experience indeed  :)

I can only answer from what my impressions and associations are

The Lion might well be an ‘helper-animal’,  being there to remind/awaken some power inside you,  which is due to being called  -  and which in this case obviously was the key for being allowed to enter/continue on your way  :) 
You might have yourself some ideas of what  ‘the power of the lion’  stands for and what does it mean for you specifically.  The lion usually stands for an authentic self-expression and self-consciousness,  in a pic the king on the throne,  knowing himself,  his power and of course is supposed to act accordingly and for the good of his land and kingdom / our life.  The lion is the carrier of the power of the sun,  which brings everything to ‘daylight’ and calls for truth and authenticity.  the sun also represents our mission in life  -  in the Tree of Life it is associated to the Sefirah Tiferet.  It's name meaning beauty and its qualities are self-awareness, the harmony of things, devotion to the great work, humility, being ready for sacrifice (of the ego), equanimity, contentment, inner peace  -  the vices would be accordingly arrogance, vanity, egoism and a knowing-it-all attitude  --  but your experience wouldn’t indicate that for me  ;-)

Maybe some of these ideas are helpful for you in understanding your experience ?  -  next time,  if there is one,  maybe you could start some communication with (your) lion ?  -  now that you are equals  ;-)  -  asking him what power he brings to you or what he wants you to do or understand  e.g.  ?

Just some ideas of how you could work with it  -  and   waoh  -  that power is a very good and important experience I’d say   -  worth some more meditations on it  :)

Love & Light
Nalinie

In reply to TimeTraveller (SN) (R3)(QM3)

by MaRk -

Hi Nalinie

Thanks for the advice. It's always good to get another persons opinion. :)

I should clarify that I left out some details. This is because in an earlier Temple Meditation, I was 'instructed' not to share some information. I felt that this restriction still applied but not to every aspect of the meditation.

Your absolutely right about Tiferet. I came to the same conclusion that there was some connection there. I understand the hallway to be representative of Ruach in which Tiferet sits on the tree of life. Am I presuming correctly?

An interesting point that I didn't mention in the meditation was that at the beginning of it, as I walked the pathway there was a large bird that became a Pelican, which if I understand correctly also relates to Tiferet?

LLL

Mark

In reply to MaRk

Hi Mark,

I think it is important what it means for you  -  but obviously you have a good access to the understanding of it yourself already  :)

In the Inner Temple meditation the area of Ruach is the area of the library,  the hallway I wouldn’t associate with it  -  at least to my understanding,  but  I am certainly a beginner in terms of  qabbalistic studies  :)
I thought you met the lion on the way to the gate of your inner temple ?

Of Pelican being a symbol of Tiferet I have at least never heard,  where do you have that from ?   But birds have a wide field of meaning certainly,  I am sure it means something to you ?

Love & Light
Nali

by MaRk -

Hi Nalinie

The Lion I didn't actually meet. I only heard it's roar. The roar appeared to come from an area  beyond the hallway, but my vision was limited, I couldn't view past the Hallway, so I am presuming that the Lion was in the Library area. The roar though did come from a distance as it had the quality of a sound coming from a distance. 

With regard to the Pelican, Crowley's Liber 777 lists the Pelican under Tiferet. Apart from this reference by Crowley, there is also Christian association with the image of a Pelican but I don't know at present the full meaning behind the symbolism of a Pelican within Christian beliefs. 

I have already met my lower spirit guide who who happens to to a cross of a Lynx and a Puma. Interestingly given that I am a Taurean, I would have thought my guide would be a more Earthly animal or spirit. But perhaps my lower guardian being a Feline suggests an alternative quality that I haven't fully embraced?

LLL

Mark

In reply to MaRk

Hi Mark,

interesting  :)

I didn’t know about the Pelican,  ok,  different people give different meanings  ;-)
in a traditional Hebrew context at least so far I haven’t met it ,  but well,  birds always refer well to the air  ~  and so Ruach,  I’d say,   plus the Pelican is more connected to water than earth,  so …  that’s open for interpretations  :)

To your LGS:  yes,  seems it is referring to a maybe more hidden quality within yourself  :)  -  apart from a horoscope is not only existing of the sun sign,  maybe you are having more and ‘important’ planets in other areas as well  -  but as you are subscribed to the Astro Course as well you might find out  :)

You could do some more research to your LGS  -  if you like, reading about both animals separately or feline ones in general,  there is quite some good literature about it,  being able to give you an idea  -  I know some good ones but in German only  ;-)
Or you simply communicate with him,  asking him what quality he wants to bring to you  (if it is a he  ;-) )

Love & Light
Nali

In reply to MaRk

by [Deleted User] -

Hi Mark,

If you are looking for a connection between your loward guardian spirit and your zodiacal sign, think of this: Felines could be assigned to Venus (because some of their most striking characteristics are their grace and beauty, but also their potential for jealousy) and Venus is the planet that rules Taurus. This is obviously just a play with attributions. Other assignments could also make sense. It is good that you contemplate such things, because that can help us deepen our understanding of occult symbolism in a playful manner. Thats at least my personal experience. At the same time I dont think that our lower guardian spirit necessarily has to correspond with our zodiacal signs - but their relationship might well be an interesting thing to think about.

But perhaps my lower guardian being a Feline suggests an alternative quality that I haven't fully embraced?

Sounds like a very sensible thought to me. Maybe you want to examine that thought in more detail :-)

I agree with Nalinie that it is a good idea to acquiant yourself with the animal(s) your LGS represents. That will certainly help to interpret the quality it represents.

L.V.X

In reply to [Deleted User]

by MaRk -

Hi Benedikt & Nalinie

I have taken your advice and performed the Temple Meditation yesterday with the intent of asking my LGS what it would like to show or tell me. I can honestly say it was quite an intense experiece. I will give a brief outline to share my results.

At my temple door I asked LGA what I need to know/do. My LGA opened its mouth and ate me. Inside its mouth I found myself falling into fell a black hole with a point of red very far down.

I tried to fly out of the hole as I fell, but could not, so I decided to relax and fall. I fell to the bottom of the hole and found myself enclosed inside a large red saphire. 

My LGA then began to circle around me so fast that it was blury. Two sepents then appeared and also began to circle around me.

At this point I had an image of many dead or old corpses stretching their arms out toward me. A chasm lay between them and myself.

The Goddess Kali appeared from the corpses rising up with intense burning red eyes. I somehow then went inside and became Kali and looked upon creation with the ideas of death destruction, rebirth and life.

The Goddess seemed not pleased about something that I did not understand and then threw me out of her body and smashed me to dust. 

I perceived myself as a thousand pieces of dust then became whole again. I sense or was told this i am not yet able to know.

I came back to a human shape within the red saphire at this point.  My LGA then changed shape to a black African man thin and muscular and and forcefully shoved his hand into my upper torso. There was a black thing inside he pulled out. He threw it into the air did or said something which caused it to explod into a shower of light.

I was then picked up and flown now into a blue sky and saw my temple from above.

I was still trapped as a Saphire at this point. I was then dropped and by whatever was carrying me and I smashed onto the ground. I could feel myself as a hundred broken pieces.

I was told this is me I am many pieces which makeup the whole. My LGA then told me I am not to enter the temple today and to leave.

Afterwards I felt quite relaxed and very confident about myself. Much more than usual. I'm still contemplating the imagery and have not come to any conclusions as if yet.

LLL

Mark

In reply to MaRk

Hi Mark, 

that sounds like quite a (transformative)  journey indeed  ;-)

Afterwards I felt quite relaxed and very confident about myself. Much more than usual. I'm still contemplating the imagery and have not come to any conclusions as if yet.

Looks like to me that you found the conclusion yourself already  :) ,  that’s quite a positive outcome,  isn’t it ?  -  and maybe all the processes were about
I don’t think one has to go to a very detailed interpretation,  if one has enough knowledge about the images and pics used one can surely
To me the element fire is involved certainly,  with all this fiery experiences,  yourself being inside the red sapphire and also the Goddess Kali,  the old corpses may stand for something old trying to reach you,  and then you started as Kali a new life so to say  -  or recognizing the circle in all of it  :)
So maybe some inner rebirth is about to take place inside you ?
But that’s only some associations   I am sure you will have yourself as well  :)

So,  this was certainly a meaningful journey  and congrats to having achieved  at feeling relaxed and very confident about yourself,  that was certainly worth all the adventure and transforming processes,  wasn’t it ?  --  and a meaningful answer to the question you gave your LGS I think ?  -  You just filled it in with images that were inside you or came to you

Love & Light  ~  Nalinie

In reply to MaRk

by [Deleted User] -

Hi Mark,

thanks for sharing this intense experience. Generally your experiences and the inner pictures you have seen seem chaotic to the waking consciousness, similar to those of a dream. I think that you had quite a glimpse into subconscious structures within yourself. It is quite hard to give a definite interpretation, since you have encountered a vast variety of symbolism. Additionally, such experiences and symbols can also have a personal component to them.

I'm still contemplating the imagery and have not come to any conclusions as if yet.

Good!

I think it is a good sign, that this experience had a good and transformative feeling to it. You said you were told that "you [are] many pieces which makeup the whole". I always find short statements like this very useful little hints to remember and to explore.

To me it seems like you have had the chance to experience parts of your unconsciousness, and you seem to be keen on harmonizing unbalanced aspects of yourself. I think that is very good and I would like to encourage you to stay aware of the hints you get! You seem to have a very intense inner imagery and it is good that you try to find out what lies behind it. You should still be able to have "normal" visits in your inner temple, on a regular basis aren't you? If not, it might be good to get additional advice.

Hope that helps a bit and I wish you a great week,

L.V.X

by MaRk -

Hi Benedikt & Nalinie

I felt that I had to take about 4 days off from the Temple Meditation after that experience. I spent some time researching some symbolism regarding the imagery involved. In particular the imagery of Kali and the feline aspects of my lower guardian.

I have recently returned to the Temple Meditation and had a much more intense experience within the Inner Sanctum recently. I have met what according to the meditation is the HGA, the nature of which was consistent with a previous post. I have a couple questions though if I can ask the both of you.

1. What appeared as my HGA appeared in front of me, but at the same time, there was another creature very similar to my lower guardian that circled me clockwise with a very stern and serious look (not sure if this was my lower guardian but a different aspect of it perhaps)?

2. The appearance of what I am presuming was my HGA resulted in a very physical emotional experience. Something similar to being awestruck mixed with fear. It was very intense and almost forced me to stop the meditation. Is that what one would expect as a typical response?

3. I noticed that in the Kali experience as well as this most recent experience, I had an animal circling me in a clockwise direction both times. I don't know of any references for this kind of imagery. Do you have any suggestions as to what this kind of imagery might suggest?

4. Last question :)  Is there a way to tell when ego is influencing the temple meditation?  I ask as I am concerned that I may be experiencing some things that are purely ego driven rather than spiritually inspired / derived.

Thanks again for all your advice, it's extremely helpful :)

LLL

Mark

In reply to MaRk

by [Deleted User] -

Hi Mark,

1. What appeared as my HGA appeared in front of me, but at the same time, there was another creature very similar to my lower guardian that circled me clockwise with a very stern and serious look (not sure if this was my lower guardian but a different aspect of it perhaps)?

It is always possible that unexpected things happen. A good approach is usually to ask the authority of the temple section for advice, or ask what the meaning behind this is. Especially in the beginning, however, when the thought for of your inner temple is not too strong yet, you might not want to explore every curious event in detail. It is important that you build the thought form of the inner temple in its archetypal structure. It could be an option to ignore strange influences for a moment and just clearly visualize your Holy Guardian Angle and the Inner Sanctum. If these other things are really important, you might want to trust that they will reappear in another meditation. When you have established a relationship with your HGA, you can always ask for his advice when such things happen in the Sanctum - just as you can ask your Guardian Animal when strange things happen in the garden or outside the temple wall. So it is important to first strengthen the archetypal elements of the temple and not to dive too deep into side plots.

2. The appearance of what I am presuming was my HGA resulted in a very physical emotional experience. Something similar to being awestruck mixed with fear. It was very intense and almost forced me to stop the meditation. Is that what one would expect as a typical response?

I have experienced the feeling of great awe in that situation many times. I would say thats perfectly fine. You might want to ask yourself what you are afraid of.

3. I noticed that in the Kali experience as well as this most recent experience, I had an animal circling me in a clockwise direction both times. I don't know of any references for this kind of imagery. Do you have any suggestions as to what this kind of imagery might suggest?

If it appears again, you might want to ask the animal why it is there and what lesson it has to teach. It might also just be a distraction. Hard to say for me.

4. Last question :)  Is there a way to tell when ego is influencing the temple meditation?  I ask as I am concerned that I may be experiencing some things that are purely ego driven rather than spiritually inspired / derived.

That is indeed a good question. As Nalinie pointed out, it is possible to develop a strong inner discernment, which will come with practice. Often when you think you might be ego driven it might be enough to ask yourself: "Is this my ego?". Take good note of such meditations. Even if you are unsure, you will be able to have clearer view on the issue when a few days have past.

Thanks again for all your advice, it's extremely helpful :)

You are very welcome! Its always a pleasure to support people with a healthy learning attitude. Were happy to hear that we could help you out! It is good that you ask this things. I can see how such experiences can be puzzling in the beginning, especially when you have no personal mentor. So don't hesitate to ask.

L.V.X

by MaRk -

Hi Benedikt

I think that not chasing after images or impressions in the Temple meditation is a good idea. Nalinie also suggested maintaining focus during meditation.

With regard to the ego influencing the meditation. I see that the lesson on discrimination applies really well to this. 

LLL

Mark

In reply to MaRk

Hi Mark,

I thought to give you just some ‘short’ answers,  being sure that maybe someone else can add more to it

there are so-called helper animals as well

hmm  -  at least I never experienced an intensity that brought me near to stop the meditation  -  maybe I didn’t allow it,  who knows ?  The question is of course as well what one expects - if anything at all,  “awestruck mixed with fear” may happen and doesn’t sound too strange when encountering a higher power,  yet your HGA is def supposed to be friendly and ‘near’ to you,  was that experience there as well ?
But maybe one of the mentors can say more to it

can be many things I’d say,  might be some kind of helper animal as well,  reminding you to be watchful e.g.,  psychologically spoken it might be an aspect of yourself  -  you will see yourself what this might mean
but again,  I might not be experienced enough for an detailed answer,  esp. not to an extract of it,  so again a mentor might help  :)

a good and valid question again  :)  -  I’d say,  as long as ego has a (high) percentage in us,  it might also influence our medi.  For me it is,  when sometimes I feel  I  made things up,  when there is an element of surprise in it,  and the feeling of ‘reality’  then I would be sure it is not coming from the ‘ego-I’

But it is a good question I will keep pondering on,  and maybe being able to come up with more at a later point  :)

Love & Light
Nalinie

Hi Mark,  again  :)

another element that came to my mind is that of control in meditation,  as this is what differentiates it substantially from a drug experience e.g.

Meaning,  though we are supposed  to pick up images from the unconscious we are asked as well to stay in control.  So it’s all about the proper balance of this.
When we come to the meditation-lesson in the 2nd part of the course there will be more about that  :)

Important,  as Benedikt already stated,  is a clear guideline of the mind,  and when things start to feel threatening,  one can either face them by asking or withdraw,  maybe by coming back to the clearly stated target of the meditation.
Esp. at the beginning it is not recommendable to leave the space for meditation too open,  it should have a clearly stated target we always can find back to whilst being within the experience.
Do you know what I mean ?

Also,  meditation does not necessarily mean the ITM,  you can choose any topic  (clearly stated)  that you’d like more enlightenment about
And …  never forget the Candale Exercise before you start ANY meditation

Does this help you so far ?

Love & Light
Nalinie

by MaRk -

Hi Nalinie

Yes, I understand the idea of maintaining a spefic focus while meditating. I do have trouble sometimes with intrusive images or ideas and I always bring myself back to the original focus of the meditation.  It is challenging though :)

My previous meeting with the HGA I now think was a test of sorts. As the feeling of fear was more of an ego based fear which I chose to face rather than give in to it.

I was actually looking to add the Pentagram ritual before the meditation but I will take your advice and experiment with the candle ritual prior to meditation and see what thr results are.

Your so right about balance. I find that trying to keep a balance in meditationl, personal behaviour and life is a challenge and must be continually monitored. 

LLL

Mark